

MINUTES OF MEETING  
REUNION EAST  
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DISTRICT

The Regular Meeting of the Board of Supervisors of the Reunion East Community Development District was held on Thursday, June 8, 2017 at 2:30 p.m. at the Heritage Crossing Community Center, 7715 Heritage Crossing Way, Reunion, Florida.

Present and constituting a quorum were:

Carlton Grant	Chairman
Mark Greenstein	Vice Chairman by phone
Steven Goldstein	Assistant Treasurer
John Dryburgh	Assistant Secretary
Don Harding	Assistant Secretary

Also present were:

George Flint	District Manager
Jan Carpenter	District Counsel
Andrew d'Adesky	District Counsel
Steve Boyd	District Engineer
Alan Scheerer	Field Manager
Garold Williams	Security
Rob Stultz	Yellowstone Landscape

**FIRST ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Roll Call**

Mr. Grant called the meeting to order, and Mr. Flint called the roll.

**SECOND ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Public Comment Period**

There not being any, the next item as followed.

**THIRD ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Approval of the Minutes of the May 11, 2017 Meeting**

Mr. Flint: Are there any additions, deletions, or corrections to those minutes? Not hearing any, we need a motion to approve.

On MOTION by Mr. Harding, seconded by Mr. Dryburgh, with all in favor, the minutes of the May 11, 2017 meeting were approved.

**FOURTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Consideration of Work Authorization  
from Boyd Civil Engineering for Work  
Related to the Excitement Drive  
Gatehouse**

Mr. Flint: Next is the continuing saga of the gatehouse on Excitement Drive. We have your agreement, as well as the surveyor's proposal. I think where we left it was there were discussions with the County to see the feasibility before we obligated ourselves to it.

Mr. Boyd: I approached the County but I haven't received a response. I don't see anything about the project that alerts the County to any problems, because they approved it as a non-gated access to begin with.

Mr. Dryburgh: What seems to be cropping up, is that many of the residents in that area don't want it, so before we go too far down the path, as I mentioned at the last meeting, shouldn't we be surveying the people who are going to be impacted to see if they want to spend this kind of money on a project like this. If you find that the majority of them want it, great. If you find the majority don't want it, why are we wasting our money on it?

Mr. Harding: This morning, Alan and Garold and I met by the back gate with the sign guy that was making this large sign that's going to be comparable to other signs that we have. Garold talked about where he thought it would be the right place to put it. We really think that might be the solution to the whole issue. I believe on the 16<sup>th</sup>, they are coming in and installing the sign.

Mr. Scheerer: Yes sir.

Mr. Harding: Garold and I are going to be there.

Mr. Scheerer: And myself.

Mr. Harding: We are going to put up the sign. I think you talked about even putting in some lighting.

Mr. Scheerer: Yeah, there's some electrical there. There's actually enough light, a 120 volt LED light that's in the location that the sign is going to go, so we can easily have our electrician come out and provide another LED light in front of the sign, once it's been installed, so that the sign is visible throughout the evening hours, as well.

Mr. Harding: Correct me if I'm wrong, but Garold really believes that's going to be a major solution to the problem.

Mr. Goldstein: I'm having second thoughts before it turns out to be a main gate. I don't want all of that traffic coming through my street, quite honestly.

Mr. Scheerer: It won't increase traffic.

Mr. Goldstein: I hadn't really thought about that before and I'm the one who's pushing it the hardest. I think at this point, it makes sense to put a sign in and see what happens for a couple of months. Let's table this for a couple of months, before we spend the money.

Mr. Dryburgh: I think just having a security car there really reduced the issue.

Mr. Harding: I think the sign will probably eliminate the need for that. I think Garold thinks that too.

Mr. Dryburgh: The sign is located in such a fashion. Is the sign going to be positioned early enough to stop a semi?

Mr. Scheerer: Yes. As you look at that location, which all homeowners are familiar with, there's an upfront median, split and the median after that for the gatehouse was being considered. The front median just has one sign, with one pole. The sign basically says that it's a divided road and to stay right. That sign will go directly behind that. Trust me, you can see it coming both ways on S. Old Lake Wilson Road. It won't be a problem.

Mr. Dryburgh: So semi drivers would see it.

Mr. Scheerer: The sign is over 6 feet tall.

Mr. Dryburgh: Perfect. That's the largest sign.

Mr. Goldstein: I prefer to table this until we see what happens.

Mr. Dryburgh: Do we need a motion to table?

Mr. Flint: I don't think so.

Mr. d'Adesky: Not to table. It's a Board direction.

Mr. Greenstein: I'm hearing what everyone is saying. I believe Steve just recommended tabling the issue for a few months based upon these actions that we are taking. I totally agree with that. I just want to remind everyone, and I think I'm right in saying this, that if the gatehouse goes up there, we have to inspect and welcome all visitors. That entrance was never anticipated, nor do I think that it would warrant having anybody other than residents into that gate.

Mr. Harding: We are all in agreement on that right now and we will put the sign up.

Mr. Greenstein: Great.

Mr. Harding: I don't know if you heard that it can be lit at night. Alan thinks that we can put some fairly simple lighting in there.

Mr. Scheerer: Yes sir.

Mr. Greenstein: Great, thank you.

**FIFTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Discussion of Proposed Beautification  
Projects (Requested by Supervisor  
Harding)**

- A. Larger Reunion Signage at Sinclair Road Exit and Rear Gate Entrance**
- B. Stone Walls with Signage at Community Entrances**
- C. Consideration of Request to Reunion West CDD for Installation of Fountains in Heritage Preserve Pond**

Mr. Flint: There were several items that Mr. Harding brought up and emailed me for discussion.

Mr. Harding: Yes. We had a major property owner in here that wanted to put some more stone signs up. I think they thought that maybe we needed them on the east side as well. Then they were talking about the Dowling Brothers. They own something like 35 properties. They had a recommendation on the pond for fountains, way back when. They want us to put these stone signs at various community entrances. As it turns out, we have them on the east side at Carriage Pointe, Homestead, Liberty Bluff and Patriots Landing. Where we don't have them, from what I understand, is at Fairway Ridge North, Fairway Ridge South, Heritage Preserve and Legends Corner, which is on the west side. The other thing that they were looking at, along with these signs, is also putting some fountains in the Heritage Preserve pond, which is on the west side. I got back to them after I looked into this more, and I had some conversations with Alan too. If anything, it's going to have to be a Reunion West CDD Board decision. From what I understand from Dowling Brothers, they want to come to the next Reunion West CDD meeting and make a presentation. They are actually offering to pay for some of this as well. We will have to allow the Reunion West CDD Board to discuss this and see what they want to do.

Mr. Dryburgh: Is there a sign like this for Heritage Crossing?

Mr. Scheerer: Yes. Its right out front, when you turn in, on either side.

Mr. Harding: That's not considered a community. It's a condominium. All of the condominiums are covered as well.

Mr. Scheerer: Yes. Ever condominium and every single-family home on the east side has a block sign with marble.

Mr. Harding: Its only on the west side where they don't have stone signs.

Mr. Scheerer: That is correct.

Mr. Harding: We are well covered on the east side, so we will let that be a west side project, including the fountains.

Mr. Grant: The only comment I might add is, much like the sign discussion, there are standards to the existing signs; the marble insert, the logo and brick face. I would recommend that we don't come up with a different standard, or let someone from the outside come in with their signs and it continues with the Reunion standard that we have established.

Mr. Greenstein: You are absolutely right, Carlton. Regarding the signage at the entrance to each of the major communities, I think we definitely have to touch base with Daniel Baker. I did discuss this with him some time ago and we just need to resurrect it. Hopefully now the time is right to have the west entrances be similar to the east entrances.

Mr. Harding: Okay, because the LRA has to approve all of those kinds of things.

Mr. Flint: Not really.

Mr. Harding: I don't know.

Mr. Greenstein: I think it was more of an issue of the developer putting them on the east side and they just weren't done on the west side. We certainly need to review where we stand with how to move forward on that.

Mr. Harding: Okay.

Mr. Flint: That will probably be a west expense. I don't see that as a shared expense because you have monuments here; therefore, it would be a west issue.

Mr. Harding: I will try to attend the next Reunion West CDD meeting and bring it up, if they don't have it on the agenda. I don't know if you can put it on their agenda or not.

Mr. Flint: I can ask the Chairman.

Mr. Dryburgh: You can ask the Chairman and see what they want to do.

Mr. Goldstein: I think it's pretty simple. If they want to put the signage in and pay for it, that's fine.

Mr. Flint: Honestly, they are all public meetings. At the beginning of every meeting is a public comment section and that would be the best way for them to handle that.

Mr. Harding: Okay, we will do it that way. I've already given feedback.

Ms. Carpenter: Is it all CDD land that the signs are on?

Mr. Harding: Yes.

Mr. Flint: I don't know. We will have to look at where they would be.

Mr. Boyd: It depends on where they want to put them at. They have to determine the locations first.

Mr. Harding: They are reaching out to vendors and everything. We will let them do their thing.

## **SIXTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

### **Staff Reports**

#### **A. Attorney**

Mr. Flint: Next is Staff Reports.

Mr. d'Adesky: The only thing that I have to report is on the one action item. We are trying to pin down the exact time to have a meeting with Osceola County. We have been touch and go with them on the phone regarding the right-of-way. People are on vacation and we are trying to make sure that everyone is available at the same time. We anticipate trying to get a meeting set next month with them to discuss those right-of-way costs. That's something that I've discussed previously and you knew that it was coming. Supervisor Harding is already delegated on that, so we really don't need to take any action at this time. Just know that this is coming.

Ms. Carpenter: I ran into Dave Tomek at the County and talked it over with him. He acknowledged that it is an issue that they should be open to, so really, it's just a matter of being able to get time with them.

Mr. Flint: They just cut a bunch of Oak trees down. Did you see that?

Mr. Boyd: Yes. That is for their exit and deceleration lanes.

#### **B. Engineer**

There being none, the next item followed.

#### **C. District Manager's Report**

##### **i. Action Items List**

Mr. Flint: On the action item list is the irrigation turnover. The LRA is dealing with the Water Management District and Toho on that issue. On the signalization, we are waiting on comments from the County before we go through the bidding process, in case there are any significant changes to the plans.

Mr. Boyd: That is correct.

Mr. Flint: We are waiting on County comments. Once we get those, if there are no substantial changes, we would move forward with the bidding but we are waiting for them, at this point.

Mr. Greenstein: What's a reasonable turnaround time for County traffic to get back to us?

Mr. Boyd: I would expect that three weeks is reasonable and they exceeded that by about two weeks. I and the engineer from the designer's firm, started calling together and we finally received a response yesterday or maybe it was this morning. They will have their review completed next week. They committed to that, but they are running significantly slower than I would expect.

Mr. Greenstein: That's reasonable.

Mr. Flint: Regarding Items 3 and 4, some authority was delegated to Mark. We were contacted by the consultant that has been hired by the Central Florida Expressway Authority. That is the new entity that's taking over for the prior entity that was looking at the expressway alignment. We were contacted by their consultant. They are meeting with the key stakeholders on both sides of the I-4 interchange, including Reunion East, Reunion West, ChampionsGate, The Resort, Encore and the POA. Those are most of the major players. It's not a public input forum stage. It's a stakeholder stage where they want to meet with different entities. I've been working on setting that up. Mark, on behalf of the Reunion East CDD Board, is going to be there. I reached out to the Chairman of each Board. The LRA also wants to be represented. Let Mark represent this Board. John Chiste, as Chairman of Reunion West will be there, as well as, Daniel Baker on behalf of the resort and LRA and David Berman on behalf of the POA. We have a meeting set for the 21<sup>st</sup>.

Mr. Greenstein: I believe it's the morning of the 22<sup>nd</sup>.

Mr. Harding: Of which month?

Mr. Flint: This month. Because Daniel and Mark are going to be at that meeting, we are going to coordinate with Daniel, to either meet before or after that meeting on the Management Services Agreement (MSA). Now you have an update on the expressway issue. You also have an update on Items 3 and 4.

Mr. Dryburgh: What are they still contemplating?

Mr. Flint: There are two alignments that they are still looking at. One goes right down Osceola/Polk and the other goes around and ties into 429.

Mr. Harding: Way behind Carriage Pointe.

Ms. Carpenter: Does it make any sense for us to contact an eminent domain attorney to see if any input at this point would be helpful? We obviously don't have anybody retained. I think it is preliminary but they could help us with some arguments about why we put off one or the other and the cost.

Mr. Harding: I agree.

Mr. Flint: This is just the initial meeting. They shelved all prior PD&E studies. They are basically starting over because the prior entity that was doing it, no longer exists. They have been absorbed into the Central Florida Expressway Authority. They hired a new consultant. I think it would probably be good for the District to be represented. I'm sure that the LRA and others need to be represented by their own counsel, because there are potential impacts to CDD and LRA property. We are not going to commit to anything at this initial meeting.

Ms. Carpenter: I will speak with an eminent domain attorney to see if he thinks it's something that would be appropriate, or if it is too early to get involved.

Mr. Harding: So the MSA discussion is going to be about what Liberty-Adler at the resort may want to do, as far as how they want to use these facilities and have an agreement, including the horse stables.

Mr. Flint: Correct.

Mr. Harding: I sent a note with regard to maybe a long-range plan to keep it in the back of our minds, if there's no agreement as far as them being involved. Another study that I think we still should think about, is maybe having the horse stables and this facility from a meeting standard, be a landscaping facility and maybe not have us locked into the one that is out of our control right now and charges us quite a bit of money. I think it winds up to be almost \$16,000 a month for all of the entities that are involved. I think that might be something we can look at, depending on what happens with the MSA Agreement.

Mr. Flint: Okay. We've talked about the gate. It's going to be deferred at this point. Regarding the Excitement Drive gate, we have a date for the sign installation. Andrew covered the shared cost.

Mr. Dryburgh: I noticed earlier, that we talked about signage at the Sinclair Road exit. Can we get some clarity?

Mr. Flint: That was one of Don's items. Did we miss that?



Mr. Dryburgh: We really didn't talk about Sinclair Road so I wanted to make sure that I knew where it was going.

Mr. Flint: That was Item 5A.

Mr. Scheerer: I talked with the County about putting a better sign up there, coming off of 429. I believe that 429 is Sinclair Road, if I'm not mistaken. Is that correct?

Mr. Harding: Yes.

Mr. Goldstein: Have we approached the County on that?

Mr. Scheerer: No.

Mr. Goldstein: Is that something we can do?

Mr. Flint: You are not talking about a monument. You are talking about a green directional sign.

Mr. Dryburgh: A large sign that says Reunion.

Mr. Harding: There's no indication that Reunion is there.

Mr. Scheerer: There's one small sign.

Mr. Dryburgh: Would it be nice to have a sign that says "Sinclair – Exit 1".

Mr. Boyd: The challenge with Sinclair and 429 is it is a State right-of-way, and since the road is County right-of-way, there might be roads that are owned by the CDD, so we would have to get a permit from the County to put up a sign in that location.

Mr. Dryburgh: We have two different locations, one is on Expressway 429. We've seen others put signs up and that is a State issue.

Mr. Boyd: You would have to get the Expressway Authority to put up that sign.

Mr. Harding: Is that something we can initiate?

Mr. Boyd: We can make a request. I've never done that before. I have been successful in getting DOT to put up a similar location sign on a State highway. The Expressway Authority is another entity.

Mr. Dryburgh: You know that it's amazing to me that they put all of those Palm trees up there. They must have spent a fortune on those Palm trees. They are all over the place. There must have been \$100,000 in Palm trees but no watering system out there.

Mr. Harding: I don't know about that, but all I'm saying is it seems like they could put up a sign that says "Reunion".

Ms. Carpenter: The intent right now is not put signs up. I noticed on I-4 when they re-signed, they took some of the Celebration ones down.

Mr. Dryburgh: We are only asking for one sign. We don't need 30, just one on each side.

Ms. Carpenter: We can ask.

Mr. Flint: We will ask.

Mr. Dryburgh: You know what, its better asking and to get turned down, then to look stupid and never ask, so why don't we ask.

Mr. Grant: That's fine.

Mr. Harding: This whole thing, as far as the entrances, came up in the last major member meeting with Carlton and all of the Encore people, talking about major signage at the front entrance here, and I don't know if anything is going to happen with that. You guys have indicated that, along with the signalization issue, it is apparent that they could make a left turn coming into Reunion. Then they also brought up the fact that on the west side, coming off of Sinclair Road, they have a small sign there, after you make the turn, that says Reunion is straight ahead, but there's no other indication. People are bringing it to us saying, "Why don't we have something there as far as some sort of informational sign".

Mr. Flint: Can you come up with the location on a map and then maybe Steve can talk to the County.

Mr. Scheerer: For the existing sign?

Mr. Flint: No. We know where the existing one is, but we could see if there's a more appropriate location. We're not talking about monuments.

Mr. Scheerer: Some sort of directional sign?

Mr. Flint: Yes, a directional sign.

Mr. Scheerer: As you come out of Reunion, it would show the way to Reunion.

Mr. Flint: Joe Dollard is the person to ask.

Mr. Boyd: When the overpass was first built, we tried to get them to approve a mileage sign for Reunion on that bridge, like the one that shows how many miles to Orlando. There would probably be the same thing there.

Mr. Scheerer: They just wanted Palm trees.

Mr. Harding: I think we can add that as an action item. I forgot that we skipped that. We are still working on the allocation of costs.

Mr. Flint: That was what Andrew brought up. Regarding the signage on CDD property, we received feedback, both from the resort and from Encore, that they removed what they believe are the offending signs.

Mr. Scheerer: Yes sir.

Mr. Flint: Alan was going to verify that.

Mr. Scheerer: Last week we had six small signs, which I did not see today. I didn't get through the entire resort today, but as of last week, all of the signs that were not allowed to be on CDD property were removed, with the exception of those six signs. They are basically small open house signs.

Mr. Flint: I think they are gone.

Mr. Scheerer: I saw some in the traffic circle last week but those were gone today.

Mr. Harding: There are still a few up.

Mr. Scheerer: I will revisit that. Security was tasked with removing the signs. There were six last week and I will follow-up on that this week.

Mr. Flint: I'm communicating with Carlton and David Burman on replacement signage, consistent with our current official signage, so that we are consistent in style and with the policy that you adopted, that the signage be directional. We need to make sure that everyone is on the same page with what a directional sign is, versus what a sign promoting a private interest might be.

Mr. Harding: Are we putting up new signs for the spa?

Mr. Scheerer: The two spa signs are still in place.

Mr. Harding: I don't remember them being very appropriate.

Mr. Williams: I will take a look at them.

Mr. Scheerer: Just to re-clarify, the signs that we are talking about are on CDD property, not the signs that are located on non-CDD property.

Mr. Harding: Exactly.

Mr. Flint: We don't have any control over that.

Mr. Scheerer: You noticed the sign on Reunion Boulevard. As long as it's not on our property, then that sign is exempt from our sign policy.

Mr. Flint: I agree. I think we made some good progress. We are continuing to work on that issue. Is there anything else that the Board wants on the action items list?

Not hearing any,

**ii. Approval of Check Register**

Mr. Flint: You have the check register for the month of May totaling \$176,697. Are there any questions on the check register? If not, I would ask for a motion to approve it.

On MOTION by Mr. Harding, seconded by Mr. Dryburgh, with all in favor, the Check Register for the month of May was approved.

**iii. Balance Sheet and Income Statement**

Mr. Flint: You have the unaudited financial statements through April 30<sup>th</sup>.

**iv. Status of Direct Bill Assessments**

Mr. Flint: We have some June payments due. All of the May payments have been made, so it looks like we are in good shape.

Mr. Greenstein: Don't we have that one May 1<sup>st</sup> payment from EHOF?

Mr. Flint: Yes, you are right.

Mr. Greenstein: We actually have two of them.

Mr. Harding: What page was that on, Mark?

Mr. Greenstein: It was on Page 14. Wait a minute, I'm looking at the wrong page.

Mr. Flint: We have one due from EHOF. We will follow up with them. They are pretty good responding once we follow up with them.

Mr. Greenstein: For whatever reason, it seems like there is a 45-day cycle involved but that's alright.

Mr. Harding: We've spent about \$4,700 on signage so far, this year. What was that for?

Mr. Scheerer: A lot of that is for repairs to the signs, stop signs and directional signs. I just received a call the other day about a sign that was tapped by a construction vehicle, which is leaning. We probably repaired three or four signs and we are in the process of updating the stop signs.

Mr. Harding: Some of them are really faded.

Mr. Scheerer: Yes, especially in the Homestead area. We've been replacing those. I have six more that I'm picking up and we will get those installed.

Mr. Greenstein: Alan, there's one sign right at the intersection in The Villas. There is a sign pole that became loose and tilted. I don't know if it's because of the excess rain. Do you know which one I'm talking about?

Mr. Scheerer: It's my understanding that we had it repaired on Tuesday. The one right next to The Villas?

Mr. Greenstein: Yes, as you are going to the first lined road on the left-hand side.

Mr. Scheerer: On Whisper Way. That should've been repaired. I had a contractor out here on Tuesday. He called me and said that it was fixed.

Mr. Greenstein: I just noticed it a few days ago.

Mr. Scheerer: It should be done.

Mr. Greenstein: Thank you!

**v. Presentation of JLAC Correspondence**

Mr. Flint: We received a letter dated March 20<sup>th</sup> from the Joint Legislative Auditing Committee, as a result of a finding in the prior audit. This has to do with the bonds that are not currently assigned to any specific property. We responded back in March of last year to the same comment, and then we drafted a letter on May 30<sup>th</sup>, indicating that no material change has taken place in that regard. I don't expect them to take any further enforcement action. They tend to be satisfied when we respond and they understand that there's no actual deteriorating financial condition and no need for the State to step in with financial assistance. That's the main thing that they are concerned about. Are there any questions on the JLAC letter?

Mr. Greenstein: No.

**SEVENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Other Business**

There not being any, the next item as followed.

**EIGHTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Supervisor's Request**

There not being any, the next item as followed.

**NINTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Next Meeting Date**

July 13, 2017.

**TENTH ORDER OF BUSINESS**

**Adjournment**

On MOTION by Mr. Grant, seconded by Mr. Dryburgh, with all in favor, the meeting was adjourned.



Secretary/Assistant Secretary



Chairman/Vice Chairman